Monday 6 September 2010

I Could Be Your Hero, Baby

Firstly, a correction: Cliffey and I did not see the folk-pop man in central library, because he is playing there next Saturday. I will probably check him out but Cliffey may or may not have something better to do than watch a musician who can't even show up on the right day.

I was also going to apologise for not updating yesterday but I've decided that I don't update on Sundays so I will not apologise as I am right on schedule.

On Saturday night we went into town for JR's birthday, and if my life were a movie my favourite scene would be the one where Syndrome from The Incredibles, Spidergirl, and Enrique Iglesias are walking in formation down a darkened Queen Street, preferably soundtracked by the intro from Eminem's Lose It. It was a fun night but Sarah, Pete and I ducked out before the party headed to Walkabout because we're too cool and attractive to hang around for too long.

On Sunday, Sarah and I went into town and I experienced for I think the first time the weirdness that is St. David's 1 closing on a Sunday afternoon. There was still a steady flow of people in the arcade so it was very strange to see the majority of the shops therein shuttered up. I felt like a ghost in a crowd of ghosts who stalk the arcade at midnight, except it wasn't midnight, it was, like, 5pm, and still fairly light out.

Later on, our many friends came 'round to eat takeaway pizza and enjoy the company of others. I, too, ate pizza, except mine came from the freezer and was cooked, eaten, and washed up before the others had even come back from Pizza Hut. Some would speculate that my Lidl pizza was of inferior quality; I would speculate that these people have more money than I.

Even later on, I attempted to tell some of my housemates a goat-based bedtime story. It was going okay until Pete the goat was chained up in a troll's cave, and Cliffey and Sarah - also goats - had to rescue him with their super watches, containing the power of, respectively, love and friendship. I decided that Pete, and did I mention that Pete in the context of this story was a goat? Anyway, I decided that he needed a special watch to, and asked for suggestions as to what power he should have. Pete - the real, human Pete, as opposed to goat Pete - suggested "Sky Sports!" and I promptly fell off the bed backwards and into his hanging wardrobe.

There was much merriment.

Later even than that I dreamed of crows. I was running through a field and the sky was black with them. I tried my best to dodge them and seemed to be doing a fair job of it until one landed on my head. It peered down at me and I swatted it away...

...and the real me, in bed, swatted too, except instead of a crow I managed to hit Sarah in the face.

Today we have mostly chilled. I made a rockin' tuna salad and demanded to know Cliffey and Sarah's Top 5 acts from Green Man. Nobody asked to hear mine but, in case YOU'RE curious, here it is:

JOEL'S TOP 5 AWESOME BANDS FROM GREEN MAN 2010
  1. The Flaming Lips
  2. Tindersticks
  3. Steve Mason
  4. Sparrow & The Workshop
  5. The Besnard Lakes
Tonight, it looks like a game of Pretty Fuckin' Gayopoly is on the cards. 

Joel.

P.S. Sorry for such a long entry, it really doesn't seem like this much has happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment