Friday 3 September 2010

Slugs!

This edition of Cutlery comes to you from the computers in Cathays library, because - and this is a confesson - the house doesn't have an internet connection yet. So far I've been returning to my family's house to update this, but I felt it was about time I went a whole day without going home.

So here I am. Up 'til now I've spent most of the day indoors, because we're due a visit from a) the window repairman (see previous blog) and b) our landlord, who is coming to discuss, among other things, setting up an internet connection. Gem, Soph and Cliffey are all out, but thankfully Pete woke up about an hour ago and very kindly agreed to hold the fort for a bit while I went out for some fresh air.

Since last I updated, I have filled my cupboard with food and moved the remainder of my stuff in, including my TV, my PS1, my DVD player, my Make Your Own Monopoly board, and, well, pretty much all my fun stuff. Today I have watched Dodgeball, played Rayman, and watched as Danny Murphy punched one of JR's German footballers on FIFA '98, but lest this turn into Tales of the Idle I'll wrap this paragraph up and explain the post title.

At around 3.20 last night, Sarah woke me up and told me that Pete wanted me in the kitchen. I asked why, and she informed me that the kitchen was full of slugs.

Being still half-asleep, I panicked. Until moments ago I had been dreaming peacefully about a city made from Lego, and now I had to face an army of slugs trying to eat my battenburg. At first, I refused to leave the bed because, as I told Sarah, "I can't deal with slugs".

But eventually I managed to steel myself and go take a look. I was relieved to learn that the slug armada had failed to reach my food supply, and Pete had already disposed of most of their troops, but jeez. There were two on the floor when I arrived; apparently there had been as many as 7.

And the worst part is that we can't work out how they got in. The doors and windows were all shut, and the scattered trails of slime were of no help, neither leading nor coming from anyway.

So that's another thing I may have to take up with Paul the Landlord. The computer has informed me that my NetLoan session ends soon, so I shall hastily sign off and log out.

Until next time,
Joel.

No comments:

Post a Comment